Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Language and me


I was born in china so I speak perfect Chinese. I can understand what people saying in Chinese. And also I like to read Chinese books and write sometimes in Chinese. However, when I moved to the United States of America everything has changed for me.
Many people said that English is the second language; we have to learn it because we will need to use it. However, before I moved to the USA I thought I never needed to speak the English language nor read in it. Around where I lived, people just speak Chinese and also I always think China have about 1.3 billion people so we have a lot of people speaking or writing in Chinese. I do not speak English very well because I was too lazy to learn English when I had the chance to.  When I did not pass my English exams I could find some reason to tell my parent or teacher. However, I am regretting what I did.
I never thought that I would move to the USA, however, I am living here now. So now, I need to learn to speak English. Then sometimes I think when I was in high school, if I had study harder for English then I would have a good job now. I am working in a clothing store, I am a sales associate. I forgot how many time the store managers asked me when I can become a cashier and then move up to be a manager. I always said no, because I believe my English is not sufficient enough to communicate with everyone at the store. So now the only thing I can do and also I need to do is study English as hard as I can.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Cai , do not worry about your English. You are not the only person who is living this situation. I have lived in New York for 11 years and I hardly speak English. My pronuntioation is terrible and I do not like to speak in front other people. But believe me you can do anything you want to do. Even though I am a 52 year-old woman, I want to finish my studies. I already got a bachelor degree in my country Colombia but I like to study. Also improving my English is one of my goals. This class is helping me to understand the process of learning a new language. I Know you are going to get your goals. Luz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also know what it's like to struggle with a second language. I grew up speaking Spanish and found myself having to adapt to the English language and culture. After I did, I found that I started to forget my Spanish. And since then it's been somewhat of a struggle to maintain proficiency in my native language.

    You have the perfect opportunity to improve and develop your English. Being immersed in a college environment definitely offers the opportunity to learn more. I'm sure you'll become more comfortable eventually. I guess it's about practice and patience. Good luck =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you! I am trying to do as best as I can

    ReplyDelete